Offer of Love to the fellow people of the Holy Metropolis of Corfu
The Holy Metropolis of Corfu, Paxoi and Diapontian Islands started a crusade of love in order to meet the needs of essential stuff , food and bare necessities for the poor people of our island on the occasion of Christmas. This crusade was made to strengthen the institution of the Social Market “O AGIOS SPYRIDON/SAINT SPYRIDON” operating in the town centre with branches in the province. Thus, on Thursday morning, December, 21, 2017 , in the spiritual centre of the Metropolis, his Eminence, the Bishop of Corfu, Paxoi and Diapontian Islands, Mr. Nektarios donated the collected items.
His Eminence wished that the presence of the newly Born Christ will bring hope and light to the people, especially to those who are in need.
Moreover, the Bishop of Corfu thanked everyone who helped and trusted the local Church in this attempt.
• The Holy Monastery of Vatopedi for the monthly donation of chickens for the daily meals and the Social Markets. During the Christmas, they also donated legumes, tomato sauces, flour, sugar, potatoes, dishwashing liquid and other food.
• Hellenic Relief Foundation from the United States that offered 100 turkeys and supports the needs of Social Groceries every Christmas and Easter.
• The Chamber of Corfu, the Board of Directors and Mr. Chondrogiannis who offered 50 turkeys.
• – Rotary Club of Corfu, who helps monthly and on Christmas, providing stationery.
• The “Douroxyl” Wood Factory in Velonades region and in particular Mr. Macrodimitras, who helps every Christmas by offering 70 turkeys for the Social Market in Sidari.
• The Super Market “DIELLAS” which offered the basic essentials of food put in the Christmas Love Bags.
• The warehouses, the fridges in Alepou and especially Mr. Michopoulos.
• The super markets “AB VASSILOPOULOS” , “LIDL” and “DIMITRA MARKET” for the baskets at the exits of their stores, where our fellow people offer food.
• The Holy Church of Saint Spyridon, which offers oil on a monthly basis.
• Finally, the Parishes, the Monasteries and all the anonymous fellow people who support on a daily basis and fill the baskets for the Grocery markets, in Corfu Town, Sidari and Lefkimmi as well as the one of the parish in Kanalia which have been running for seven consecutive years, every day, by assisting the fellow people in need.